The richness of natural hardwood floor can add unmistakable charm to any room. Today’s hardwood floor come in more species, widths, and colors than ever before and more durable. With proper care and maintenance, the hardwood floor can last more than a lifetime and will add real value to your home.
Hardwood floor reflects your personality and wise investment. So it is very important for you to know the proper way of cleaning and maintaining your hardwood floor. However, to find out the proper ways of cleaning and maintaining hardwood floor demands on your patience and care. Useful tools and technique can bring the proper solution.
How to maintain the beauty of your hardwood floor for years:
Hardwood floor will look like a new surface if regular dusting and cleaning are carried on. In this regard, to clean hardwood floor you can follow the following recommended maintenance schedule:
Daily task- Dust/Sweep:
To dust your floor well with a microfiber mop or cloth will be best daily defense against scratches and surface damage. Microfiber cleaning pads use static electricity to trap dirt, dust, particles, and other household allergens. In this regard, the broom can utilize, but it can push the dirt around only.
Weekly task- Vacuum/Mop:
There are some areas where a daily dusting can’t reach. Weekly maintenance deals with this area that a regular dusting can’t reach. Vacuums and wet mops are suitable for getting the dirt out of difficult areas like corners and the spaces between each piece of hardwood. If you want to disinfect the floors without damaging those using vacuum cleaner and mops, you need to pay heed on extra caution. Make sure that your vacuum cleaner doesn’t hit the bar floor if it has a beater bar. On the other hand, wheels of the vacuum cleaner can damage the hardwood floor. While using a mop try to avoid extra liquid on your floor. Slightly mist your floor with a hardwood floor cleaner, so that you can have an excellent clean.
Monthly task- Polish:
Polishing your floor after few months’ interval is an excellent way to clean hardwood floor. Polishing renews and refreshes the finish that protects your hardwood floor. It is not a difficult task to polish a hardwood floor, and it needs only a minimal amount of effort.
Yearly task- Deep Clean:
Try to give your floor a deep clean or sand and refinishing it every 2-4 years because of various abuses put on the hardwood floors. If your floor is affected with some deep scratches or gouges, sanding and refinishing can repair this damage, leaving you with the taste of a new clean hardwood floor. The old protective finish is completely removed and replaced by sanding and refinishing.
Follow these above routines for clean hardwood floors that stand the test of time for years to come.
- Wipe up spills as soon as possible.
- Use interior and exterior doormats at entrances, so that it can collect dirt and moisture from being tracked onto the floor.
- To prevent marks by using floor protectors under furniture and by using rugs in play areas to ensure children’s toys don’t scratch the floor.
- Area rugs recommend in front of kitchen sinks, at all pivot points, and within high-traffic areas.
- Trim animal nails to prevent scratches.
- Close windows when you’re expecting rain.
- Try to keep your home’s humidity in between 35% and 55%.
- Keep your floor away from direct sunlight.
- Use ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, detergents, bleach, polishes, oil soaps, abrasive cleaning soap, or acidic materials like vinegar.
- Let water stand on your floor for any duration.
- Wear shoes with spike heels or heel taps on your hardwood floor.
- Allow furniture to rest on the floor on small metal tips or hard domes.
- Use rubber or plastic mats as they may trap moisture and possibly discolor your floor.
- Use vacuums with beater bars or hard heads while cleaning a wood floor.
- Use proper tools to clean your hardwood floors. You can use a dust mop with a microfiber pad and the steam mop for dusting and cleaning.
- Avoid using water and vinegar, soap-based cleaners, wax or water based cleaners on your hardwood floors. Water and vinegar actually dull the floors finish over time. While soap and wax leave the residue. Water based cleaners put excessive water on your floor. Which can permanently damage your floors.
- Short your hardwood floor cleaning time with smart preventive maintenance. Use mats both outside and inside exterior doors to lessen tracked-in dirt.
- Prevent marks by using floor protectors under furniture and by using rugs in play areas to ensure children’s toys don’t scratch the floor.
- Trim your pet’s claws. While nails and claws are a source for scratches on hardwood floors, you don’t have to choose between having an exquisite floor and having a pet. Make sure pet nails are properly groomed and maintained. Use caution and care when trimming pet claws because improper techniques can harm your pets.
By following this guide closely with proper care and maintenance, you will be able to extend the life of your hardwood floors and keep them looking as beautiful as always.